1. A piece of driftwood on the seashore, carried about by the waves.
2. People walking on the seashore. The oldest ones stop by, look at the sea, then go away.
3. Blurry shapes on a winter beach. A herd of dogs. A love story.
4. A group of loud ducks cross the image, in one direction then the other.
5. A pond, at night. Frogs improvising a concert. A storm, then the sunrise.
With his lush and sensual visuals, pitch-perfect soundtracks, and soulful romanticism, Wong Kar Wai has established himself as one of the defining auteurs of contemporary cinema.
Four charming comedies from Eric Rohmer.
Melvin Van Peebles’s edgy, angsty, romantic first feature could never have been made in America. Unable to break into a segregated Hollywood, Van Peebles decamped to France, taught himself the language, and wrote a number of books in French, one of which, La permission, would become his stylistically innovative feature debut.
Melvin Van Peebles
DCP, Blu-ray, DVD