1. A piece of driftwood on the seashore, carried about by the waves.
2. People walking on the seashore. The oldest ones stop by, look at the sea, then go away.
3. Blurry shapes on a winter beach. A herd of dogs. A love story.
4. A group of loud ducks cross the image, in one direction then the other.
5. A pond, at night. Frogs improvising a concert. A storm, then the sunrise.
With his lush and sensual visuals, pitch-perfect soundtracks, and soulful romanticism, Wong Kar Wai has established himself as one of the defining auteurs of contemporary cinema.
Four charming comedies from Eric Rohmer.
“No one sees anything. Ever. They watch, but they don’t understand.” So observes Connie Nielsen in Olivier Assayas’s hallucinatory, globe-spanning Demonlover, a postmodern neonoir thriller and media critique in which nothing—not even the film itself—is what it appears to be.
DCP, Blu-ray, DVD